Friday, June 29, 2007

Roosevelt Island

Last weekend we went to the Theodore Roosevelt Island. It is only like ten minutes from our house but we had never been there before. It is a little island in the Potomac river. You have to park you car off the island and walk over a bridge to get to it. It was really cool. In the middle of the island there is a statue of Roosevelt as a memorial to him. The land around the statue is the closest thing we can find around here to call wilderness/nature. There is swampy areas in the middle, the river around the sides and lots and lots of trees. It was so nice to be outside in nature. It made me miss beautiful Utah. I just pretended that I was walking up Provo canyon. Mason had so much fun running around, picking up rocks, looking at all the boats in the river and throwing rocks into the river.





















Theodore Roosevelt Island
One of Theodore Roosevelt’s greatest legacies was his dedication to conservation. Today, this island stands as a fitting memorial to the outdoorsman, naturalist, and visionary who was our 26th President. -National Park Service

4 comments:

I was raised in a barn said...

Mary, I don't get homesick until i look at your blog. seeing those pictures really makes me miss DC. I miss the Metro, the sites, the shopping, and all the people who have somewhere to be.I especially miss my drive tow work on the GW pkw overlooking the Potomic River. I am glad we saw so many things while we were there. I hope you guys enjoy your time there. And Hope its okay to leave a comment on your blog :)

I was raised in a barn said...

one more thing...I REALLY miss how green it is. ARIZONA is so not the same :(

Liz Galvin said...

What a fun day adventure! I'm so glad you guys are doing so many fun things.

annie said...

so beautiful! looks like you're having fun out there. we miss you and are excited to see you soon!! xoxo